Eight members of the Monroe community organized our church in November 1898. Originally called The Monroe Baptist Church, deeds show it was a division of the Amherst Baptist Church. For some time, services were held on the second floor of the Southern Railroad Depot, until a proper church was built in 1899.
The church was tested when the building was lost to fire prior to 1920. With the help of the Home Mission Board (now called the North American Mission Board) and many dedicated church members, a new building was erected in 1920. At that time there were 60 members on roll.
In 1937, the first church directory was printed. The small booklet contained a brief history of the church, a Church Covenant, a Constitution, a list of officers and a church roster. The pastor at that time was Rev. C. E. Kirkwood. Just prior to the printing of the directory, the name of the church was changed to First Baptist Church of Monroe (FBCM).
There have been many additions and renovations since those early days. Additional classrooms and facilities were needed for a growing church, and the sanctuary underwent a major renovation in 1989. The last major undertaking was the addition of a new fellowship hall and kitchen, which was completed in January 2016. This project also included additional parking, wheelchair accessible entrances, enlarged bathrooms, and a newly renovated children’s ministry area.
We give thanks to God for this “Lighthouse” on the hill here at Monroe, Virginia and letting us be a part of it. The Lord has been working through the faithful ministry of FBCM members for many years, and we continue to help meet the physical and spiritual needs of our community in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We want to continue to spread the love of Jesus until He comes again. Please come and join us as we gather together in the “House of the Lord”!